Thursday, June 09, 2005

The endless benefits of 'Commando'

My friend Geoff once told me a funny story- his girlfriend was coming down to stay the night all the way from Brighton a few months ago and wanted to know what film she wanted him to rent. He said 'commando'. She thought he was joking. He was serious. She came down without it.
I've had a suprising number of conversations about 'commando' and a few other Arnie films since I came to uni and most of the guys know all the funny lines. I remember telling Geoff that I had watched it again on TV when I was at Wells Hall and he said he knew it was on but he had been forced to go to club with his girlfriend and some other friends. He had a terrible time in club that night because he kept thinking "Shit- I'm missing 'commando' now". Whats the best thing about it? The one-liners. Some of the greatest one-liners in cinema history have been uttered by Mr Schwarznegger and they are made funnier by his dodgy accent and his complete inability to act.
"You are very funny- I will kill you last"
"Don't disturb my friend-he's dead tired"
"Remember when I promised to kill you last? I lied"
"Let off some steam"
And of course the unforgettable 'fuck you scene'. One of the bad guy says 'fuck you' and pulls the trigger, but he's run out of bullets. 'No' says Arnie 'Fuck YOU' and shoots him. My brother once tried to tell this line to someone, but we ended up laughing so much in between the two halves of the joke that it took about ten minutes just to tell the scene. As a kid you watch all the shooting and think 'This is cool' but then what happens when you grow up? You watch it and think.... 'This is cool'. But you appreciate it in a different way- not as a serious action film, but as pure comedy that is actually quite clever in its silliness.
And a lot of his other films have great lines. Even the terrible 'total recall' has that scene when he shoots his wife then tells her "Consider that a divorce". Another favorite-but this time not uttered by him- is in 'Red Sonja' where having killed the bad guy, he is ready to get the girl. Instead she says "I will only submit to a man who will defeat me in battle" and he actually has to have a serious sword-fight with her just to get laid. Thankfully courting girls has become a lot less dangerous although it is still as complicated.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Minega... the fact that you know alll those Arnie movies, leaves no doubt in my mind that....you shall conquer the universe and rule with an IRON fist........
Balsera

11:40 PM  
Blogger Ka said...

not sure if i should be afraid or embarrased for you for knowing that tools "work".Anyways,I WILL BE BACK with a decision.

3:28 AM  
Blogger nic said...

Swaziniga lol as often pronounced by Africans, to think he is now a mayor?

10:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barnabas weh...bitee..ummm he is way above mayor that disastrous muscle is a GORVENOR!!!!
Basically he can termminate alll ovf urss(in his accent of course)
Balsera

1:31 PM  
Blogger Raymond said...

Minzo I got your back,they just don't understand us Commando pilgrims. How could you forget.At the end of commando....

Army Captain:"John, did you leave anything for us?"

Arnie: "Just bodies"

That was classic
And guess what? I watched Insomnia last night,I am now officially a Nolan fan

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer