The world as will and representation
Adam is back from his little mini-holiday and he is a changed man. When he left, he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown but now here we are Thursday lunchtime and he's raising his arms to the heavens and looking up into the sun.
"I feel so alive" He says " Look around you- it's such a beautiful day!"
Leo and I are looking at each other with a 'do you want to tell him or shall I?' expression but we don't want to burst his bubble. He is right after all- it is a beautiful day and why not celebrate it? It's just that you won't see us spreading our arms and mumbling this in the courtyard where everyone walking by or anyone with a suitable placed window can look and shake their heads while wondering why Wantage doesn't have a more effective vetting system to weed out the nutters. Incidentally, is it possible to have excessive sanity? Because that's what might have happened to Adam. From nearly going mad to going absolutely and scarily sane, and he's even quit smoking.
I think it might be spring already. The sun has been out for about four days straight but it's confusing because it's still fairly cold. Having to wear a jacket while the sun is shinning merrily above you is just as confusing as hell.
Sightings: a group of white ducks on the lake in two precise formations standing absolutely still...a cat(that looked incredibly similar to Garfield) squaring up to a squirrel on a garden wall
Leo at dinner today pointing at the green jelly-ish thing that was being offered to us for dessert "I don't know what that is, but I know it came from a spaceship"
Best news of the week- U2 winning all those grammies. Bono had a good line "If you think this is going to get to our heads, it's too late". But seriously what's happened to music? I was looking at the list of nominees and I got a headache. There's so much shit out there it's frightening.
But anyway U2- 'Vertigo' was merely an okay song but then they released 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own' and then I knew they were really back- absoutely beautiful. I'm glad to see they got a grammy for that song and also a nice shiny one for 'City of blinding lights' which spent a worrying amount of time in my head for much of last term ('ooooooh..you...look...soo...beauuuuutiful tonight')but only because it was another amazing song.
So maybe bird flu isn't going to herald the end of the world, but it looks like some guy drawing cartoons in Denmark is going to do just that. I think burning flags is the ultimate display of childishness and utter stupidity. Can you imagine how many other priorities these people have in their lives? Most are probably poor and unemployed and face all the familiar third world issues and yet there they are burning flags and marching in the street OVER A CARTOON. In London, we had people holding signs saying 'Behead those who insult Islam' how sick is that? Go live in a fucking cave then you piece of slime and please don't breed when you get there. The funniest story in all this was the guy who dressed as a suicide bomber during the protest in London and ended up on the cover of every newspaper in the country with everyone calling him a sicko of the highest order which was true- there are single-celled amoeba at the bottom of ponds with more intelligence than someone like that. Anyway the funny part-it turns out he was on parole for selling drugs. At first he refused to apologize and then he did but by then it was too late- he was back in jail for violating the terms of his parole. Not only a sick man, but utterly stupid- joining a protest match with a suicide bomber's belt while you are out of jail on parole? Talk about a bad idea.
I love the smell of justice in the morning....
"I feel so alive" He says " Look around you- it's such a beautiful day!"
Leo and I are looking at each other with a 'do you want to tell him or shall I?' expression but we don't want to burst his bubble. He is right after all- it is a beautiful day and why not celebrate it? It's just that you won't see us spreading our arms and mumbling this in the courtyard where everyone walking by or anyone with a suitable placed window can look and shake their heads while wondering why Wantage doesn't have a more effective vetting system to weed out the nutters. Incidentally, is it possible to have excessive sanity? Because that's what might have happened to Adam. From nearly going mad to going absolutely and scarily sane, and he's even quit smoking.
I think it might be spring already. The sun has been out for about four days straight but it's confusing because it's still fairly cold. Having to wear a jacket while the sun is shinning merrily above you is just as confusing as hell.
Sightings: a group of white ducks on the lake in two precise formations standing absolutely still...a cat(that looked incredibly similar to Garfield) squaring up to a squirrel on a garden wall
Leo at dinner today pointing at the green jelly-ish thing that was being offered to us for dessert "I don't know what that is, but I know it came from a spaceship"
Best news of the week- U2 winning all those grammies. Bono had a good line "If you think this is going to get to our heads, it's too late". But seriously what's happened to music? I was looking at the list of nominees and I got a headache. There's so much shit out there it's frightening.
But anyway U2- 'Vertigo' was merely an okay song but then they released 'Sometimes you can't make it on your own' and then I knew they were really back- absoutely beautiful. I'm glad to see they got a grammy for that song and also a nice shiny one for 'City of blinding lights' which spent a worrying amount of time in my head for much of last term ('ooooooh..you...look...soo...beauuuuutiful tonight')but only because it was another amazing song.
So maybe bird flu isn't going to herald the end of the world, but it looks like some guy drawing cartoons in Denmark is going to do just that. I think burning flags is the ultimate display of childishness and utter stupidity. Can you imagine how many other priorities these people have in their lives? Most are probably poor and unemployed and face all the familiar third world issues and yet there they are burning flags and marching in the street OVER A CARTOON. In London, we had people holding signs saying 'Behead those who insult Islam' how sick is that? Go live in a fucking cave then you piece of slime and please don't breed when you get there. The funniest story in all this was the guy who dressed as a suicide bomber during the protest in London and ended up on the cover of every newspaper in the country with everyone calling him a sicko of the highest order which was true- there are single-celled amoeba at the bottom of ponds with more intelligence than someone like that. Anyway the funny part-it turns out he was on parole for selling drugs. At first he refused to apologize and then he did but by then it was too late- he was back in jail for violating the terms of his parole. Not only a sick man, but utterly stupid- joining a protest match with a suicide bomber's belt while you are out of jail on parole? Talk about a bad idea.
I love the smell of justice in the morning....

1 Comments:
Hombre did you see the Daily show clip of the danish drawings report by Colbert? I was on the floor,near death experience-Laughing!
Glad Adams taken the whole Quena thing well.
LOL about Leo's quote,it's just swamp Jelly!
Post a Comment
<< Home