Sunday, April 16, 2006

Reminder: the world around you is changing fast

"Brain cells" my friend says "Are like buffalo"
"A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest one" he explains "and I figure that's how brain cells are- you cant really work because the slow ones are holding the other ones back. That's why I'm on a mission to kill all the slow brain cells. It's going to take time and effort, but I'm getting there"
He's drinking a beer. I can tell from my vantage point that his slow brain cells are already marked for death through beer consumption.
I think I still have quite a few slow ones left. The other day in the library I found myself cheering on a cloud. This isnt as strange as it might sound at first because the cloud was trying to cover up the sun which had been making it impossible for me to read. The sun would vanish for a few minutes and I would get some reading done but sooner or later it would break free from the cloud and get all up in my shizzle.I wasn't cheering out loud obviously -That would just be silly. Another time I found myself playing what I now call 'finger squash' although I dont use this expression with a straight face. On the off chance that someone out there is reading this blog, I am not even going to describe it except to say that you get a piece of paper, squeeze it into a tiny ball and then use each finger to hit it against 'the wall' very quickly as you would do in squash. Left finger vs right finger-I don't remember who won though. I was sitting in one of those reading booths so this was easy but I should also stress that it happened only once. I usually have a very good attention span, but when my mind eventually wanders, you had better believe it wanders. I'm talking prophet-in-the-desert kind of wandering not lost-in-the-shopping-mall wandering.
Anyway onto other matters, I've been intrigued by this whole Iran nuclear weapons saga thingy. From what I gather that mad bastard in charge is saying 'we are not making nuclear weapons, but we can if we want and we will when we want even though we want it only for peaceful purposes although if you continue to threaten us we will use them' I'm not quoting him directly, but someone like that shouldnt be anywhere near plutonium let alone enriching the bloody thing. They even had a National uranium enrichment day in Iran- and you thought YOU had flashy public holidays eh? That's just another step towards armageddon so in the meantime I'm going to eat as much chocolate as I can.

Favourite selected headlines off the New Times website from the past few months:
"Women are hard to understand? Here is the magic stick"
"Impotence is great torture"
"City cleaner complains aloud"

And my current favourite and one I already consider an all-time classic: "Who is impregnating Kigali's mad women?"
That headline will join the hall of fame of headlines that The New Times has had down the years, none more legendary than 'UPDF dithering in Congo'. Having managed to put the word 'dithering' into a front page headline, the editor went one step further by using the word 'prevaricating' in the by-line. After that everyone in the newsroom turned it into a running joke and the words 'dithering' and 'prevaricating' came to mean about one hundred different things and indeed still do. They have long since lost their original meanings for me and anyone else who was there.
And there was the time when Rwanda qualified for the cup of nations by beating Ghana in Kigali. The editor dashed out an editorial for the special section we were doing on the story. It was to run with mine and Emma's and the heading was 'A Godfather, mother luck or juju?' (i.e what was responsible for getting Rwanda to the cup of nations) we tried to get that changed but it got in in the end and it became another running joke. If anything good happened to you, someone inevitably asked 'is it a Godfather, mother luck or juju?'

1 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

Hey, I just remembered this drumming thing that you used to do a lot in P6 with your hands: Bang the table with the base of your fist and then with your three fingers simultaneously flick at the table to create some timbaland sort of beat!HAHAHA

Finger drumming!Do you still do it!Yes it is Godfather, mother luck or juju that I remembered this!
Good to see you back!

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer