Friday, March 10, 2006

"Standing here with something else to say"

Music I've bought/copied recently:

Ali Farka Toure: Talking Timbuktu- One of the greatest-possibly THE greatest- musicians Africa has ever had- died a few days ago which was a shocker. This has some excellent material and I'm definitely going to track down all the rest of his stuff. It's African blues and its fantastic.
White Stripes: Elephant Strange to think I only discovered them a few weeks ago because I already feel I've been listening to them for ages. I'd only heard one song before- Seven nation Army with that very famous bassline- and I thought they were overrated but my goodness, after only two listens the album knocked me out and I usually need a few more than that. There is no home for you here, I want to be the boy, The air near my fingers and You've got her in your pocket are particular highlights. They're heavily inspired by blues and it shows in their rock-blues style. And its just the two of them! How the hell do they do it? This made walking in the rain on Monday so much more bearable.
Jill Scott: Who is Jill Scott?- Although I think this album is still inferior to Beautifully Human that says more about that album than this one because this is glorious. Highlights are probably Slowly, surely and Getting in the way. Not a single weak song on this album and one that's already doing a great job at keeping up my spirits in this time of constant work and absolutely miserable weather. Your'e a legend Jill.
Miles Davis: On the Corner- I'm on a mission to own everything he's ever done which is a tall order because there must be at least fifty albums out there, many of which were released after his death. Not just the greatest jazz musician of all time but one of THE greatest musicians ever. This must be maybe my tenth Miles CD and all have been completely worth it. This one is completely unlike anything else he has done- it's a lot more funky and at times it doesn't sound like conventional jazz at all.
Gorillaz: Demon Days The great singles released from the album- Feel Good inc , Dirty Harry and Dare prepared me for what awaited me here and its good stuff. No two songs sound alike and yet they all have a similar thing going on there that you can't put your finger on. Utterly unique and for a 'cartoon band', it's quite an accomplishment. Damon Albarn I salute you. Aside from the marvellous singles, another standout from the album is All alone which features Roots Manuva, England's greatest MC. You can't even classify this music-its a kind of rock-pop-techno hybrid that is absolutely delightful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raymond said...

After reading this,spent the whole day listening to Miles Davis on Radio Blog club and I like the stuff,it's really good! THough I wouldn't listen to it at night while studying I'd be out cold in seconds!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer