Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Untitled (4)

Prison Break- the most addictive show of the last few months- had its season finale last night and of course they left it on a cliffhanger. If there is any moral in this story, it is that trying to escape from jail is so dammn difficult and time-consuming that you may as well just stay in your cell and pick your fingernails.
But it doesn't really matter now since the world cup is starting this Friday which means a whole month of footie goodness. If you don't like football and you read this site I strongly advise you to stay away from this blog over the next four weeks. And after that I'm probably going to stop blogging altogether since I'm leaving this country mid-July and the real purpose of this blog was to chronicle my time in England.
ITV has had a wonderful series on previous world cups that ended last Friday. I learned a few things, some of which I wish I had remained ignorant about-like the fact that Garrincha who many Brazilians consider to be better than Pele lost his virginity to a goat. The shows really made you realize the power and scope that football has around the world and also made me realize that the 76 years of world cup have produced more drama and scandal than the dodgiest Latino Soap-opera.

I watched Cursed yesterday afternoon which is a very dodgy horror film. Christina Ricci is in it, and there is something about her that I cannot really put my finger on except for the fact that she is a bit odd looking. She has eyes so expressive that it is almost scary and she is both very creepy and strangely sympathetic in every film I have ever seen her in. You are torn between wanting to give her a hug and running away as fast as you can because you get the feeling that she might do something psycho just for the hell of it. It's a bad movie so maybe that's why I found myself wondering about all this. She is probably the most enigmatic person I have seen on screen but otherwise it's bugging me that I can't really figure out what it is about her that seems so inexplicable. Oh yeah, don't rent the film, It's crap.

Am I the only one who is going to boycott The Omen? This is the most unnecessary remake of all time. Why, why why? The original is the greatest horror film in my opinion-nothing will ever make me as scared shitless as I was when I watched that film. Why release a modern version that is moreover exactly identical to the old classic? Are these people on magic mushrooms? They are so not going to get my money. Remaking a wonderful film just so that you can release it on 6th of June 2006 and say-'look-666! aren't we clever?' well it's just stupid.
Incidentally I only really watched The Omen about three years ago in my first year here (I watched a few scenes as a kid that seriously traumatised me but that's a story for another day) me and my bro watched it in the afternoon and by the end of it, we were frozen stiff to our chairs. Then as we were sitting there in silence this black crow suddenly perched on the window sill and we both jumped. If you have seen the film, you know the significance of this. It's timing was incredible. It took off a few seconds later, but the last thing I wanted to see while recovering from that film was a black crow infront of my open window. Since then, the only other film that's scared me is The Ring (the Japanese original)

I also recently watched one of the most devastating things I have ever seen- a channel 4 documentary on Indonesian workers in Malaysia. There are half-a-million of them-mostly maids- living as virtual prisoners-their passports confiscated as soon as they find work in a Malaysian household and then treated like shit and usually forced to work for years without any pay at all. It was terrible gut-wrenching stuff the stories they were telling. Aned because they have no rights whatsoever under malaysian law, their employers treat them with the kind of brutality that would just turn your stomach. Then to see a Malaysian minister defend this brutality by saying some rubbish about Indonesians in the past running away from their jobs...it was sickening. I don't often feel hate because it is almost always counter-productive but I hated-HATED- that smug prick who sat confidently infront of the TV cameras and endorsed what is in effect a modern form of slavery.
So here you have a country whose legal system is geared to supporting the slavery of workers who are considered sub-human beings and they think there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. A minister says that this is the way things should be. Then some creep who provides these maids to Malaysian households says they often have AIDS and are immoral and so this form of imprisonment is important to keep them in check. What kind of madness is this? I wish we could beam such stupid dickheads back to the sixteenth century where hopefully they would be eaten by wolves before they could do any damage. I can't remember the last time I was so enraged about something as I was when I watched this report.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer