Tuesday, June 13, 2006

World cup: Czech mate and more nonsense

The stand-out team for me so far was the Czech Republic who demolished the US 3-0 even though the Americans didn't play badly at all. Thomas Rosicky-fucking hell, he was awesome. It's the best performance I've seen from a player so far and his second goal was the best goal I've seen in the World cup. The way he combines with Pavel Nedved should keep many other teams awake at night. The Czechs are going to go a long way.
Italy beat Ghana 2-0 and unfortunately it was a largely comfortable win. Italy looked so solid throughout, and Ghana were just too poor defensively to cope. They did manage to retain possesion for long periods of time which is something African nations seem to have discovered recently, and they did a lot of running but they need to sort out that defence. I thought Italy wouldn't survive this group, but it looks like I'm going to have to eat humble pie. They were pretty impressive. Once they had got the first goal I knew it was over. Italy are the masters of the 1-0 win, but I was pleased to see that this Italian side continued attacking even after getting that goal. At this rate, we might need to put our faith in Togo and Tunisia who are both in much better groups. Angola also impressed me last night- they were not spectacular, but seemed generally competent.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Australia-Japan game especially the second half. Australia looked like they were going to lose which would have been harsh on them and then they banged in 3 goals in the last 7 minutes. I was delighted for them and I hope they do well. Everton are our deadly rivals, but I was happy for Tim Cahill scoring two goals anyway. I was impressed that the Australians had such an attacking formation which included 3 big strikers-Viduka, Aloisi and Kennedy not to mention attacking midfielders like Cahill.
Patronising-and unintentionally amusing- comment of the Tournament so far went to Gareth Southgate during the Trinidad- Sweden game. He said the referee shouldn't book the Trinidad players for timewasting because that was the speed they moved at when they were off the pitch. Hmm...
-Question of the day- where are all the fancy celebrations? No player has yet done anything out of the ordinary when they score a goal although I admit it's hard to be creative when ten men are pinning you down to the ground celebrating your goal. I liked Tim Cahill going up to the corner flag and pretending to punch it, but I've seen him do it before for Everton. I have a feeling we will see some cool celebrations when Brazil kick off tomorrow.
-Question of the day 2: Is this the first time the Ghanaian goalie has ever faced corners? Everytime Italy got a corner he ran out like a man possesed and firmly punched thin air. Tie the bastard to the posts if you have to. If you are going to come out to get the ball, at least have a vague idea of where it is.
-Suprise of the day: Harry Kewell lasting the full ninety minutes of the Australian game. That I did not see coming.
-Prediction of the week: I am 100 percent sure that when Brazil play Croatia, the camera will keep panning into the crowd to settle on a hot Brazilian woman jumping up and down happily. This will happen at least 15 times. I can assure the BBC that such liberties with the camera will not be a waste of time.
-Best name of the Tournament: Ghana brought on a substitute called Pimpong. I couldn't help giggling.
-Name which really doesn't seem to fit with a footballer- Iaquinta of Italy. It sounds like it might be the Italian for strawberries or something like that. To be fair, Totti doesn't sound too scary either.

Niinsima- Your knowledge and enthusiasm of footie is a pleasant suprise! I still live in the stereotypical bubble that girls generally hate football. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated.
Raymond- if you think you can stop blogging for 2 weeks and then start again without so much as an apology you have another thing coming. Are you going to watch any of the football hombre?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

Hey Minny, u are right on the money with the Czechs, but my gut tells me they won't be going very far!! Why? USA is soooo damn 'Berkham-nized' in otherwords so over rated

I thought Ghana played a solid game with a competent defence and a highly competent midfield only to be let down by the striking line and their nervous keeper. Ghana's midfield was by far superior to the Italians' and won more possession there with their ability to create fluid passing lanes.

I loved Angola's persistence but again just like Ghana were let down by the strikers. They need snipers such as the likes of Dragba and E'too.

Brazil was not too scary against Croatia. Too much hype I guess towards their football. Believe me as a fan I was sooo damn frustrated by the samba boyz

2:50 AM  
Blogger Raymond said...

Your personal apology: "Jump off 3 cliffs PUNK!!" HAHAHA
Was fighting with the dial up connection to get online hence the sabbatical! And I have began the pilgrimage!! Details to follow on MSN!
I will watch todays match, I promise

PS: Found your description of description of the ghanaian goalie rib shattering! HAHHAHA Kudos hombre

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer