Wednesday, June 14, 2006

"Please-free the mad bears"

There's a story I like to tell to illustrate how two people can be on a completely different frequency without knowing it. Last year when I was in Arusha for the holidays, I decided to go to Kampala for a few days before I went to Kigali. I sent an sms to my then girlfriend which went something like this "Hey you! I'll be in Kampala in the next few days so you had better clear everything and make space only for me. No excuses!'" or words to that effect. I was obviously just being silly, but she took it completely seriously and by the time I got to Kampala I was hearing stories that I had 'changed' and that I was sending my girlfriend rude messages. One silly sms had somehow turned me into the boyfriend from hell. This is what happens when two people can't communicate.
I bring this up to illustrate the BBC coverage of the world cup. John Motson(or Jonathan Pearce) and Mark Lawrenson commentate on most of the BBC games and they make an odd couple because they just don't really gel. Lawrenson is always trying to be silly and makes plenty of outrageous puns while Motson ignores them and has obviously found true love in statistics- the man can tell you what colour a player's socks were in a game six years ago and what percentage of times he has had weetabix before he scored a goal. Most of the time you get the feeling that Motson is just tolerating Lawrenson and I'm not convinced that those two are on the same frequency. Their relationship is an intriguing one and I look forward to seeing how it will evolve in the tournament. It's the same thing between Pearce and Lawrenson.
Anyway world cup reflections from days 4 and 5:
-Ronaldo has the turning speed of an oil tanker. How much does this guy weigh-120 kilos? My theory is that he is filming his own secret version of 'supersize me' which will only be released after the world cup. He may be one of the greatest goalscorers of our generation, but when you are that fat you really shouldn't be on the pitch. While we are on the subject, how ordinary did Brazil look last night? After the first 30 or so minutes, they could have been any other team in the competition and Croatia were actually unlucky not to get a draw. Unfortunately I didn't see any shots of hot Brazilian women. What's wrong with the BBC? Sort your shit out people...
Bore of the tournament: France vs Swirtzeland must have had people nodding off from Mongolia to Argentina- how I stayed awake throughout is a mystery. Easily the worst game of the tournament so far. Zidane still looked sharp, but the rest of the team was listless although the Swiss were not much better. Frei really should have scored for them at the end but missed with his head, used his hand instead and still failed to put the ball in the net. He was booked for his trouble. I have yet to see an act of such idiocy in the tournament. If he had let the ball go, Djorou would have scored. Maybe all those years of staying neutral in wars has dulled the Swiss appetite for a fight because any other team would have picked off such a poor French squad.
Is it just me or are refs a bit too picky? They've been a few too many unnecessary yellow cards especially in the Togo-South Korea game. Togo became the fourth African team to lose, but as I write this Tunisia have just snatched a draw with Saudi Arabia to get the first point for our beloved continent. This is by far the weirdest group- aside from Spain finishing first (and I missed their 4-0 thrashing of Ukraine-OH THE PAIN OF MISSING THAT GAME!)anyone else can take second spot. Incidentally Saudi Arabia has SEVEN Mohammeds in their squad- the training sessions must be a nightmare....
Daftest goal celebration: The Togo efort after their great goal- what was that about? I think FIFA should force them to hold a press conference to tell us what on earth that celebration was about.

Meanwhile in unrelated news, I'm getting my results on Monday and I'm a bit nervous about it. I can't believe I'm five weeks into this holiday. I was telling my sister the other day that I actually haven't had a moment of boredom since I finished my exams even though in theory I haven't really had anything to do. Infact, I still sleep at 4 am trying to cram things in. I've kept myself busy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Iwaya said...

"Ronaldo has the turning speed of an oil tanker," i shouldn't be laughing, really i shouldn't be falling out of my chair!

"Incidentally Saudi Arabia has SEVEN Mohammeds in their squad- the training sessions must be a nightmare...." your eye for detail when it comes to sports continues to amaze me. and the hilarity of it all.

i can't wait for more. and to think i'm guranteed a month of this!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Mesothelioma Lawyer
Mesothelioma Lawyer