Long and almost pointless: "It's been emotional"
In my previous post, I mentioned that I've been interested in national anthems recently, so before I tackle the day's world cup I would like to share a few gems I've picked up.
SIDE NOTE: Please stop sending me 'Tommy Hilfiger is a racist' emails- its complete bollocks. The story is just an urban myth- Oprah herself has denied that he's ever even been on her show and there is no evidence to show that he is a racist at all. I don't know where this came from, but please pass the word around. I'm feeling a bit sorry for Tommy.
Anyway back to the national anthems. I was quite intrigued by this passage from the Armenian anthem which was quite creatively and cleverly called-wait for it- Our fatherland. Here is the bit I enjoyed:
Here brother, for you a flag,
That I made with my hands
Nights I didn't sleep,
With tears I washed it.
Yikes, that's a bit much isn't it? If you are staying up all night crying over a flag you are making with your own hands, shoudn't that be an issue for the men in white coats? And what about this bit from Burkina Faso:
“Against the humiliating bondage of a thousand years Rapacity came from afar to subjugate them for a hundred years.
Against the cynical malice in the shape of neo-colonialism and its petty local servants.
Many gave in and certain others resisted.
But the frustrations, the successes, the sweat, the blood have fortified our courageous people and fertilised its heroic struggle!”.
Bet you'll never hear that in pop idol. The Cayman islands also had a few things to say in their national anthem although unfortunately only they will ever truly know what this is about:
Away from noise of cities,
Their fret and carking care,
With moonbeams' soft caresses,
Unchecked by garish glare,
Thy fruit with rarest juices,
Abundant, rich and free,
When sweet church bells are chiming,
My fond heart yearns for thee.
Meanwhile Bolivia's anthem talks about having sworn "thousands and thousands of times to die rather than see the country's majestic flag humiliated" strong stuff I'm sure you agree. Senegal's anthem starts with the disco-compatible line "everyone strum your koras, strike the balafons" before finding space for a line that says "fibres of my green heart" eh? The Brazilian anthem on the other hand just goes for full-out poetry and any men reading this may want to remember some of these words as possible chat-up lines.
Brazil, a vivid dream, a lively ray
Of love and hope settles on the earth,
As in your beautiful sky, smiling and limpid,
The image of the Southern Cross shines resplendent.
A giant by your own nature,
You are beautiful, strong, an intrepid colossus,
And your future mirrors this grandeur.
Also- did you know that the national anthem of Bhutan is called The thunder dragon kingdom? I don't think any anthem has a better title. I have the sneaky feeling they copied it off a comic book.
More on anthems in my next post, but tonight I really want to pay tribute to Argentina who demolished Serbia and Montenegro 6-0. The BBC radio five live commentator said 'It was a privilege to watch them today" and I completely agree. Without exaggeration this is probably the most incredible display of attacking and masterful football I have ever seen. If you missed this game you should be kicking yourself because the Argentines were so good that they were frightening. Their second goal is-again without exaggeration- one of the greatest world cup goals of all time. They passed the ball TWENTY FOUR times leading up to the goal-including a cheeky Crespo backheel-before Cambiasso hammered the ball into the net. It was a sublime team goal and it is a goal that is now officially the best world cup goal of this tournament because I really can't see anyone getting a better one. This was orgasmic football and I intend to watch the highlights tonight just to see all those goals again. Honestly this was enough to make a man emotional.
England had better finish top of their group because otherwise they will face Argentina in the quater-finals and I shudder to think of the slaughter that could ensue. Brazil has a weak point- their defence especially their ageing full backs Cafu and Roberto Carlos- but Argentina have none- NONE. They are literally a perfect team. So good that they brought on Tevez and Messi when Argentina was already leading and not suprisingly each of them nabbed a goal. I have seen the light and I have seen the glory- it is Argentina.
Argentina overshadowed the exit of a very gallant Ivory Coast side that really deserved to make it to the last 16 but were unfortunately given the group of death. They should have had a draw against Holland and their midfield was the real stand-out of their performances. Mexico and Angola kick off in thirty minutes, but I can't see Mexico losing this one.
Random:
-It turns out 'Pimpong' was not the best name of the tournament after all. Ivory Coast has won this category having brought on a substitute called Yapi Yapo. Delightful.
-I've been getting slightly more than fifty hits daily on this blog in the last seven days. Does that actually represent fifty different people? That's almost scary.
-Referees must be having a bet to see who can dish out the most senseless yellow cards. Also the linesmen have had a bad time- Crespo scored a perfectly valid goal that was wrongly considered offside and then he was booked. That's nuts. He's not the only one who has suffered from wrong offside calls- I really think if it looks tight, the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker.
SIDE NOTE: Please stop sending me 'Tommy Hilfiger is a racist' emails- its complete bollocks. The story is just an urban myth- Oprah herself has denied that he's ever even been on her show and there is no evidence to show that he is a racist at all. I don't know where this came from, but please pass the word around. I'm feeling a bit sorry for Tommy.
Anyway back to the national anthems. I was quite intrigued by this passage from the Armenian anthem which was quite creatively and cleverly called-wait for it- Our fatherland. Here is the bit I enjoyed:
Here brother, for you a flag,
That I made with my hands
Nights I didn't sleep,
With tears I washed it.
Yikes, that's a bit much isn't it? If you are staying up all night crying over a flag you are making with your own hands, shoudn't that be an issue for the men in white coats? And what about this bit from Burkina Faso:
“Against the humiliating bondage of a thousand years Rapacity came from afar to subjugate them for a hundred years.
Against the cynical malice in the shape of neo-colonialism and its petty local servants.
Many gave in and certain others resisted.
But the frustrations, the successes, the sweat, the blood have fortified our courageous people and fertilised its heroic struggle!”.
Bet you'll never hear that in pop idol. The Cayman islands also had a few things to say in their national anthem although unfortunately only they will ever truly know what this is about:
Away from noise of cities,
Their fret and carking care,
With moonbeams' soft caresses,
Unchecked by garish glare,
Thy fruit with rarest juices,
Abundant, rich and free,
When sweet church bells are chiming,
My fond heart yearns for thee.
Meanwhile Bolivia's anthem talks about having sworn "thousands and thousands of times to die rather than see the country's majestic flag humiliated" strong stuff I'm sure you agree. Senegal's anthem starts with the disco-compatible line "everyone strum your koras, strike the balafons" before finding space for a line that says "fibres of my green heart" eh? The Brazilian anthem on the other hand just goes for full-out poetry and any men reading this may want to remember some of these words as possible chat-up lines.
Brazil, a vivid dream, a lively ray
Of love and hope settles on the earth,
As in your beautiful sky, smiling and limpid,
The image of the Southern Cross shines resplendent.
A giant by your own nature,
You are beautiful, strong, an intrepid colossus,
And your future mirrors this grandeur.
Also- did you know that the national anthem of Bhutan is called The thunder dragon kingdom? I don't think any anthem has a better title. I have the sneaky feeling they copied it off a comic book.
More on anthems in my next post, but tonight I really want to pay tribute to Argentina who demolished Serbia and Montenegro 6-0. The BBC radio five live commentator said 'It was a privilege to watch them today" and I completely agree. Without exaggeration this is probably the most incredible display of attacking and masterful football I have ever seen. If you missed this game you should be kicking yourself because the Argentines were so good that they were frightening. Their second goal is-again without exaggeration- one of the greatest world cup goals of all time. They passed the ball TWENTY FOUR times leading up to the goal-including a cheeky Crespo backheel-before Cambiasso hammered the ball into the net. It was a sublime team goal and it is a goal that is now officially the best world cup goal of this tournament because I really can't see anyone getting a better one. This was orgasmic football and I intend to watch the highlights tonight just to see all those goals again. Honestly this was enough to make a man emotional.
England had better finish top of their group because otherwise they will face Argentina in the quater-finals and I shudder to think of the slaughter that could ensue. Brazil has a weak point- their defence especially their ageing full backs Cafu and Roberto Carlos- but Argentina have none- NONE. They are literally a perfect team. So good that they brought on Tevez and Messi when Argentina was already leading and not suprisingly each of them nabbed a goal. I have seen the light and I have seen the glory- it is Argentina.
Argentina overshadowed the exit of a very gallant Ivory Coast side that really deserved to make it to the last 16 but were unfortunately given the group of death. They should have had a draw against Holland and their midfield was the real stand-out of their performances. Mexico and Angola kick off in thirty minutes, but I can't see Mexico losing this one.
Random:
-It turns out 'Pimpong' was not the best name of the tournament after all. Ivory Coast has won this category having brought on a substitute called Yapi Yapo. Delightful.
-I've been getting slightly more than fifty hits daily on this blog in the last seven days. Does that actually represent fifty different people? That's almost scary.
-Referees must be having a bet to see who can dish out the most senseless yellow cards. Also the linesmen have had a bad time- Crespo scored a perfectly valid goal that was wrongly considered offside and then he was booked. That's nuts. He's not the only one who has suffered from wrong offside calls- I really think if it looks tight, the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker.

3 Comments:
First off I think I might be the other 25 hits after Ninsiima!HAHAHAHHA Mais, you know your blog freaking rocks!! I am sure there a couple other blokes that visit that haven't quite grasped the concept of leaving comments.
I actually use the stuff I read here to participate in soccer debates,word for word! People think I know my stuff ,kumbe I'm just plagiarising hardcore
count me in as one of those hits. and i nbring a big posse with me too!
great stuff as always.
I said it here Minega (in one of your posts) that Czech Rep. is a rose without thorns, well, Ghana comes in and walks all over them!!!
I will say it here that Argentina though classy are one win away to crumbling and I am not even a 'juju-ist!'
Post a Comment
<< Home